Atkins, a member of SNC Lavalin Organization, is one of the world’s leading consultancies operating in the built and natural environment. You might know us for the great work we do across our wide variety of projects. We’re proud to say it’s thanks to our people’s diversity of thought, expertise and knowledge. We offer unparalleled opportunities for talented individuals in search of a rewarding career both in India and around the world. And when you join us, you’ll be a part of this genuinely collaborative environment, where everyone’s voice is valued and treated equally.
Read More About How You Can Thrive With Us.
We are looking for Environmental Consultant/Scientist to join our team. This role will be based at our Atkins office in Bangalore, IN.
Our Water Management Consultancy business operates at the interface between people and the water environment. We offer a unique blend of skills across a large breadth and depth of experience, with our project teams made up of a diverse group of passionate, intelligent, capable and innovative individuals. We enjoy working collaboratively, delivering projects that bring about real change and make a difference to people and the environment.
We Are Seeking Individuals At a Broad Range Of Career Stages, In The Following Technical Disciplines
We are at the forefront of new developments for the water industry and have created new tools and approaches that are revolutionising how we plan for resilient and sustainable water management for the future; Our Atkins SAGIS-SIMCAT source apportionment tool is being applied extensively across the UK, in particular as part of our work for water company Drainage and Wastewater Management Plans (DWMPs) to help model water quality scenarios and understand risk to waterbodies. We are also utilising our Atkins Pywr water resources model (uses Python software) extensively across strategic UK water resources to understand future water supply challenges. Following significant successes in securing forward work programmes, we have several exciting opportunities for individuals to join our team in Bangalore.
- Our water quality and catchment management teams are focussed on implementing investigations and programmes for water companies and regulators across the UK and internationally. Through modelling and monitoring, we help identify where problems are within catchments, and work closely with stakeholders to develop sustainable management solutions for the future. The team are active developers and promoters of new digital technologies and monitoring techniques to support catchment management, including industry leading source-apportionment water quality tools (SAGIS), Natural Flood Management/Environmental Engineering optioneering, and tools to value our natural capital and ecosystem services.
- Our climate team are enthused by meeting the challenges to develop global tools for climate risk assessment as well as methods for delivering more transformational adaptation and tracking climate resilience. The teamwork across climate change policy, climate risk, adaptation and resilience, international development, climate finance, climate-related financial disclosure (TCFD), Net Zero transition, and nature-based solutions.
- Delivering sustainable flood risk management solutions for future generations, we are intimately aligned to all areas of hydrology, hydraulics, flood risk assessment and flood forecasting and warning.
Hydrogeology / Groundwater resource management
- Our hydrogeology team work at the interface of the three main strategic challenges faced by much of the UK water industry at present: Sustainability (i.e. managing how water supply abstraction and water treatment discharge impacts on the environment); Drought resilience (i.e. how to ensure there is water supply sufficiency in the future); and Asset resilience (i.e. ensuring assets are fit to deliver the water supplies that water companies commit to being available over their planning horizon). The team typically deliver projects related to groundwater supply, strategic planning, resource optimisation and environmental assessment and they are transforming their data processing, plotting and analysis tools to provide increased flexibility, expandability and standardisation of processing, analysis and visualisation of our increasingly large and complex groundwater datasets.
Sustainable River Management
- We have brought together a multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers and policy makers to deliver complex, long-term, sustainable solutions for current and future river and wetland management challenges.
- The team typically help design and implement natural flood management; river realignments/restoration; nature-based solutions; wetland development; and environmental mitigation for infrastructure development.
Water Resources Supply
- In the face of increased risks to water resources from more extreme and changing climate conditions and other future uncertainties, the water resources team identify the major water resource supply infrastructure required to meet future needs, improve resilience, and provide the evidence base for taking options through design, planning and procurement processes. The team commonly undertake water supply modelling using
- Python-based tools and the Aquator software to help water companies to explore scenarios in terms of resilience to extreme droughts and the potential for abstraction licence changes driven by environmental risks.
- We have additional roles open within the WMC Bangalore team for hydraulic modellers with flood risk and water quality modelling experience. Please search our other career opportunities to find a role that best suits your skills and experience.
How will you contribute to the team?
To perform this role successfully, the candidate will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Your day-to-day activities as part of our team will include detailed technical work, perhaps involving coding or modelling, GIS, and technical reporting in your chosen field.
- Depending on your career aims you could also become involved in coordinating and managing the delivery of technical work, at a level relative to your experience, and/or winning work by leading or supporting our bid teams.
- You will contribute to a wide variety of projects across our business.
- You will also have the opportunity to input to the development and refinement of new and existing digital tools that quantify and illustrate environmental impacts and the value of nature to people in a clear and visual way.
What will you contribute?
- Any environmental Master’s degree pathway.
- 0-5years of total experience. Professionals with higher experience may also apply. We would fit them into the right position if found suitable for our opportunities.
- You will have an interest and relevant experience in one of the key disciplines mentioned above. You will be self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic, as well as having:
- Applicants must be numerate, literate and experienced with MS Office as a minimum. You should feel comfortable working with large datasets and communicating key information.
- Excellent communication skills and confidence to liaise with international clients.
- Coding experience (e.g., Python, R, MATLAB) or the aptitude and desire to learn.
- GIS/FME experience or the aptitude and desire to learn.
- Modelling experience (rivers, canals, coasts, groundwater) is desirable but not essential.
- Curious and interested in building technical capability.
- Depending on experience, you may be expected to support and mentor junior staff and your role will allow the candidate to develop their project management, client management and business development skills.
- 3D-CAD experience is desirable but not essential.
What we offer at Atkins?
At Atkins, you will enjoy a robust rewards package which includes:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes.
- Competitive salary.
- Group Insurance.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities.
Why work for Atkins?
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the globe for more than 50 years. Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Check out some of our recent, most exciting projects.
Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community – a place where we can all be ourselves, thrive and develop. To help embed inclusion for all, from day one, we offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and employee networks to support staff from different backgrounds. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Atkins cares about your privacy and are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
Note To Staffing And Direct Hire Agencies
In the event a recruiter or agency who are not on our preferred supplier list submits a resume/candidate to anyone in the company, SNC-Lavalin family of companies, we explicitly reserve the right to recruit and hire the candidate(s) at our discretion and without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. https://careers.snclavalin.com/recruitment-agencies