As Shell seeks to reduce its carbon footprint, you will develop and implement solutions that will enable Shell to thrive in the Energy Transition. The avoidance of greenhouse gas emissions and capture & storage of CO2 by biomass in natural ecosystems underpins our Nature Based Solutions (NES) business which enables our customers to decarbonise. Shell has also chosen to approach the challenges of decarbonization through a sectoral approach and has created a new Agriculture and Forestry (A&F) business sector.
The mandate of Agriculture & Forestry is to enhance quality of life – clean air, water, soil, and food production– by becoming the partner of choice in offering sustainable and integrated solutions to solve challenges across A&F value chains, accelerating the transition to Net Zero Emissions.
You will deliver the R&D upon which these businesses, and Shell’s Net Carbon Footprint (NCF) reduction ambitions, depend.
Where you fit in
You will provide leadership to the R&D and Advance Technical Services in agriculture and forestry, including coastal ecology to the rapidly growing NBS and A&F sectoral decarbonization activities across Shell, including helping the businesses to achieve its goals. There is also a large NBS Technology Moonshot programme. The scope of this worarek is global, with special focus on key regions where Shell’s NBS businesses pursuing opportunities including US, EU, India, Africa, and Brazil.
You will ensure that Shell maintains a current and insightful position in agriculture and forestry relevant to its businesses, including agronomy, nutrient management, farming system models, agroforestry, silviculture, and MRV (measurement, reporting and verification). This will require a broad knowledge in agriculture and forestry, with special focus to its applications in enhancing overall yields and biomass production, resource use efficiency, soil C, nutrient management, reducing GHG emissions and measurement of GHG emissions using advanced measurement technologies i.e., remote sensing/GIS/ advanced IT and digitalisation tools. You will be engaged in internal and external research programs, focusing on analysis, forecasting and due diligence on investable opportunities for NBS and A&F projects.
Your responsibilities will include guiding and supporting design and implementation of experimental programs as well as collaborating with colleagues on, remote sensing, GIS, LCA modelling, eco-system services, environmental regulations, and policy. The successful candidate will be expected to work with Shell scientists and engineers globally, with external partners and with Shell’s NBS and Agriculture and Sectoral decarbonization businesses.
What’s The Role
You will be instrumental in enabling Shell to meet its strategic objectives in decarbonisation through your leadership and technical expertise in agriculture and forestry areas. You will form part of a community of deep technical experts in NBS, whose skills are unique within Shell, located in Shell Technology Centre Amsterdam (NL), Shell Technology Centre Bangalore (India) and Shell Technology Centre Houston (USA).
- Drive the planning and delivery of the experimental, technical, and theoretical components of the R&D programme in agriculture and forestry and technical support NBS and A&F projects globally within agreed time, cost, and quality parameters. A key aspect is to guide and support design and implementation of experimental programs in the lab and in the field.
- Develop partnership with internal & external stakeholders to address technical challenges related to agriculture and forestry that are important for NBS and A&F sectoral decarbonization businesses.
- Provide guidance/coaching/support to the team members in the agriculture and forestry areas. This role involves managing a small team of global researchers (in India and US) and providing technical guidance/ support on activities in the agriculture and forestry at Shell.
- Drive the development of the knowledge base at Shell in the relevant agriculture and forestry areas. Supporting Shell’s NBS and A&F businesses in assessing, screening, and developing new project opportunities and subsequently in monitoring the projects that are deployed.
- Guide and develop content, based on science, to support advocacy, informing stakeholder and outreach around NBS.
- Develop deep insights on the regulatory framework, including in voluntary and compliance Carbon markets and use those insights to support future NBS projects and growth opportunities.
- Guide and support screening of third-party technologies and companies – including supporting Shell Ventures in investment opportunities.
- Maintaining Shell’s scientific credibility by publishing the results of your work in peer-reviewed journals, internal technical reports, conference presentations, and patent filings.
What We Need From You
You will bring deep technical expertise in agricultural sciences or agronomy or agroforestry or forestry. When it comes to nurturing collaborative stakeholder relations with other Shell businesses and with external technology partnerships, it’s your excellent people skills that will make the difference. A learner mindset, transparency and sharing data and lessons will be essential. You will need to demonstrate a commitment to Health, Safety, Security and Environment including in field work in the natural environment. Furthermore, you will have:
- A PhD in agricultural sciences, agronomy, crop sciences, agroforestry, or forestry or in a related field.
- Minimum 8 years of relevant experience, 3 of which in a leadership role or with previous experience of managing a team.
- Field and/or R&D experience in agronomy, crop sciences, agroforestry, forestry, with its application in NBS, improving crop productivity, nutrient management, resource use efficiency, GHG reduction, etc.
- Demonstrated a willingness to learn and apply cross-disciplinary approaches to solving problems and be happy working in a tight-knit, but globally dispersed team.
- Excellent oral and written presentation skills; capable of effective and impactful communications across topics, audiences, and formats at various organisational levels.
Shell is a global energy company where we work towards powering progress through more and cleaner energy solutions. We use advanced technologies and take an innovative approach to help build a sustainable energy future. In India Shell has its businesses footprint in Information Technology, Projects & Technology, Finance Operations, Integrated Gas, Downstream & Upstream spread across more than 7 main locations.
An innovative place to work
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
We are creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there. We are striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
As an equal opportunity employer, combining our ideas through a creative, collaborative environment and global operations – we have developed and will continue to nurture a unique workplace with an impressive range of benefits to ensure that joining Shell is an inspired and rewarding career choice for everyone.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.